Child Labor Essay
Death Penalty Essay
Essay Topics © 2018
What is a descriptive essay?
The descriptive essay is a genre of essay that asks the student to describe something-object, person, place, experience, emotion, situation, etc. This genre encourages the student's ability to create a written account of a particular experience. What is more, this genre allows for a great deal of artistic freedom (the goal of which is to paint an image that is vivid and moving in the mind of the reader).
One might benefit from keeping in mind this simple maxim: If the reader is unable to clearly form an impression of the thing that you are describing, try, try again!
Descriptive Essay Topics
- 5 paragraph descriptive essay
- Describing a person essay
- Describing an object essays
- Description of an event essay
- Description paper examples
- Descriptive composition
- Descriptive essay about a person
- Descriptive essay about a place
- Descriptive essay about the beach
- Descriptive essay definition
- Descriptive essay example
- Descriptive essay example about a person
- Descriptive essay example about a place
- Descriptive essay format
- Descriptive essay guidelines
- Descriptive essay ideas
- Descriptive essay introduction
- Descriptive essay on nature
- Descriptive essay outline
- Descriptive essay sample
- Descriptive essay thesis
- Descriptive essay titles
- Descriptive essay topic ideas
- Descriptive essay topics
- Descriptive paper
- Descriptive paragraph topics
- Descriptive paragraphs
- Descriptive piece of writing
- Descriptive sentences examples
- Descriptive speech
- Descriptive story
- Descriptive text examples
- Descriptive writing
- Descriptive writing definition
- Descriptive writing examples
- Descriptive writing exemplars
- Descriptive writing extracts
- Descriptive writing features
- Descriptive writing format
- Descriptive writing help
- Descriptive writing ideas
- Descriptive writing prompts
- Descriptive writing rules
- Descriptive writing structure
- Descriptive writing techniques
- English descriptive essays
- Essay describing a place
- Example of descriptive paragraph
- Example of descriptive prose
- Example of short descriptive essay
- Examples of descriptive language
- Examples of descriptive writing for kids
- Format of descriptive writing
- Free descriptive essay
- How to start a descriptive essay
- How to teach descriptive writing
- How to write a descriptive essay
- How to write a descriptive essay about a person
- How to write a descriptive essay about a place
- How to write descriptive essay
- Model descriptive essay
- Narrative descriptive essay topics
- Personal descriptive essay
- Physical description essay
- Process description essay
- Steps to write a descriptive essay
- Topics for descriptive essays
- Vivid writing examples
- What is a descriptive essay
- What is descriptive language
- What is descriptive writing
- Writing a descriptive essay
- Writing descriptive sentences
- Writing to describe examples
Descriptive Essay Guidelines
Here are some guidelines for writing a descriptive essay.
Take time to brainstorm.
If your instructor asks you to describe your favorite food, make sure that you jot down some ideas before you begin describing it. For instance, if you choose pizza, you might start by writing down a few words: sauce, cheese, crust, pepperoni, sausage, spices, hot, melted, etc. Once you have written down some words, you can begin by compiling descriptive lists for each one.
Use clear and concise language.
This means that words are chosen carefully, particularly for their relevancy in relation to that which you are intending to describe.
Choose vivid language.
Why use horse when you can choose stallion? Why not use tempestuous instead of violent? Or why not miserly in place of cheap? Such choices form a firmer image in the mind of the reader and often times offer nuanced meanings that serve better one's purpose.
Use your senses!
Remember, if you are describing something, you need to be appealing to the senses of the reader. Explain how the thing smelled, felt, sounded, tasted, or looked. Embellish the moment with senses.
What were you thinking?!
If you can describe emotions or feelings related to your topic, you will connect with the reader on a deeper level. Many have felt crushing loss in their lives, or ecstatic joy, or mild complacency. Tap into this emotional reservoir in order to achieve your full descriptive potential.
Leave the reader with a clear impression.
One of your goals is to evoke a strong sense of familiarity and appreciation in the reader. If your reader can walk away from the essay craving the very pizza you just described, you are on your way to writing effective descriptive essays.
It is easy to fall into an incoherent rambling of emotions and senses when writing a descriptive essay. However, you must strive to present an organized and logical description if the reader is to come away from the essay with a cogent sense of what it is you are attempting to describe.
Descriptive Essay Examples
Descriptive Essays - The Horse Farm
Words: 558 Pages: 2 Paragraphs: 5 Sentences: 31 Read Time: 02:01
I am jarred out of a relaxing sleep by a voice yelling my name in a loud whisper, and a light burning through my eyelids. Groggily, I open my eyes to see my father standing in the doorway to my messy room. He tells me that I need to get going, that it is 3:00 a.m., and I'm burning daylight. I find my clothes and get dressed. The whole time I wonder why I get up this early to visi
The Chinese Secrets Of Health Essay
Words: 1191 Pages: 4 Paragraphs: 8 Sentences: 52 Read Time: 04:19
The Most Expensive Photograph Ever Sold
Words: 401 Pages: 1 Paragraphs: 5 Sentences: 16 Read Time: 01:27
My Fascination With Carnival Rides
Words: 441 Pages: 2 Paragraphs: 5 Sentences: 24 Read Time: 01:36
Have You Ever Seen An Oarfish?
Words: 532 Pages: 2 Paragraphs: 6 Sentences: 28 Read Time: 01:56
Imagining My Perfect Room Essay
Words: 1184 Pages: 4 Paragraphs: 3 Sentences: 83 Read Time: 04:18
My special room was white as vani
An Essay On Walt Disney A Man Who Changed The Movie Industry
Words: 2051 Pages: 7 Paragraphs: 7 Sentences: 104 Read Time: 07:27
A Descriptive Essay About The Beach
Words: 684 Pages: 2 Paragraphs: 4 Sentences: 38 Read Time: 02:29
The, enclosed, beach is silent. The br
The Brooklyn Bridge
Words: 794 Pages: 3 Paragraphs: 5 Sentences: 41 Read Time: 02:53
My Plane Trip To New York
Words: 827 Pages: 3 Paragraphs: 5 Sentences: 55 Read Time: 03:00
My Favorite Place To Go
Words: 324 Pages: 1 Paragraphs: 5 Sentences: 29 Read Time: 01:10
The first reason is my family. Over half of my family lives in New Jersey. When I visit, my cousins and I laugh and play all day and night. My uncles and aunts take me to the boardwalk where we ride roller coasters. We devour
What Is Home
Words: 272 Pages: 1 Paragraphs: 4 Sentences: 15 Read Time: 00:59
Home is a place where you go and find shelter home saves us from heat cold and
Essay On Managerial Skills
Words: 821 Pages: 3 Paragraphs: 16 Sentences: 38 Read Time: 02:59
While technical and diagnostic skills refer to the knowledge and ability
Words: 562 Pages: 2 Paragraphs: 8 Sentences: 22 Read Time: 02:02
Summer is especially warm because during thi
The Warm Embrace Of An Amber Afternoon
Words: 422 Pages: 2 Paragraphs: 5 Sentences: 17 Read Time: 01:32
Being born on the last day of summer, it is no wonder that I love autumn so much. To me all these traits are s